HERITAGE INTERPRETER - *Position dependent on Young Canada Works Funding*
Hourly Pay Rate: $12.50, 40 hours per week
Anticipated term: Seasonal Position, approx. May 1 – August 31, 2017
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the supervision of the Curator, the student is responsible for the following aspects of site operation:
- providing tours of the O’Keefe Mansion on a daily basis, and other areas of the site;
- developing a public presentation with the information gathered in a format that will make for a meaningful, engaging and informative presentation;
- compiling support materials for the public presentation, including historic photographs and artifacts;
- assisting with regular cleaning and maintenance of the historic site
- other related duties relating to Historic O'Keefe Ranch operations
- students will have the opportunity to choose curatorial projects to complete throughout the summer and will have opportunity to network with relevant individuals from the museum community.
ORIENTATION AND TRAINING:
The student will receive instruction and training in a wide variety of skills including but not limited to:
- public speaking and presentation;
- basic museum practices and principles;
- principles and techniques of visitor engagement and participation
As well, extensive information will be presented on the ranching history of the BC Interior from fur trade to the present day.
Day-to-day supervision will be provided by the Curator.
Students should have completed at least their first year of College or University training, preferably in the fields of History, Tourism, Marketing, Museum Studies, or Theatre. Experience in dealing with the public an asset as is experience in historical presentations. Priority hiring will be given to students with a history of community cultural involvement.
O’Keefe Ranch is an equal-opportunity employer.
Applicants must be full-time students planning to return to full-time studies in the fall of 2017. All
applicants must be between the ages of 16 and 30 and legally entitled to work in Canada. Applicants
must be available for the full duration of the position and be registered on the Young Canada Works
online candidate inventory (www.youngcanadaworks.ca).
Must have valid driver’s license and access to a car, as there is no public transit to the ranch.
Training will take place from May 1 – 5th. Please state your availability for training in your application.
Submit cover letter and resume to [email protected]:
Glen Taylor, Manager
The O'Keefe Ranch relies on the support of volunteers for all our programs and events and 2017 will be no different. There are several opportunities available throughout the year including (but not limited to):
- General Store Attendants
- Special Events; Fundraisers, Community Outreach, Family Fun Days
- Event and Documentary Photography
- Curatorial Assistants
- Interpreters and Docents
- Field of Screams Actors, Production Team, Behind the Scenes
- Animal Care and Cleaning
- Grounds and Building Maintenance, Gardening
- Administrative Assistance
- Gift Shop, Front Desk Attendants
If you are interested in volunteering please complete and return the Volunteer Application Form
Join us on Saturday, April 29th for a Volunteer Orientation Meet and Greet Session, from 10:00 am - 12:00 pm. Learn about the important role our volunteers provide, meet new people, and learn about the rich history of the Historic O'Keefe Ranch and what we provide to guests today. It's a great way to give back to YOUR community!